ABOUT THE SETTLEMENT
Important Update: The date of the Fairness Hearing has been changed to July 18, 2019, at 9:00 a.m. in Courtroom A602 at the United States District Court for the District of Colorado, Alfred A. Arraj United States Courthouse, 901 19th Street, Denver, Colorado.
- The settlement resolves a lawsuit au pairs filed against U.S. State Department designated sponsors of the J-1 au pair program (the “Defendants”), alleging various claims against those Defendants arising from the weekly stipend hosting families pay to au pairs. The Court has not ruled that the Defendants did anything wrong or violated any laws.
- The settlement creates a $65,500,000 fund to pay individual claims from au pairs, expenses incurred in advancing this lawsuit, and the court-appointed lawyers for the au pairs (“Class Counsel”).
- The settlement also requires that, going forward, the Defendants will clarify in a notice to au pairs and host families that the weekly au pair stipend is a minimum payment requirement.
- The court-appointed lawyers for the au pairs, who have handled all aspects of this case and have not been paid for their work, will ask the Court for 35% of the settlement for their fees and also for payment of litigation expenses.
- The Court still has to decide whether to approve the settlement. Payments will be made if the Court approves the settlement and after any appeals are resolved.
- Your rights and options—and the deadlines to exercise them—are explained in the Notice of Proposed Settlement. Please read the Notice carefully.
FIND OUT MORE
YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS AND OPTIONS
Your rights options are explained in the Notice of Proposed Settlement. If you wish to submit a claim, be excluded from all or part of the settlement, or object to the settlement, you must act before May 2, 2019.
The only way to get a payment. Release your claims.
Get no payment. Retain your claims.
Write to the Court about why you do not agree with the settlement.
Ask to speak in Court about the fairness of the settlement.
Get no payment. Release your claims.